Don’t throw it away and have it end up in the landfill!
What is Electronic Scrap (E-Scrap)?
- Computers, processors, monitors, keyboards, networking systems.
- Printers and scanners
- Phones and cellphones
- Digital cameras
- Fax machines and copiers
- Pagers, calculators, and video games
As technology advances, more and more electronics become “obsolete”. But there is a way to give this equipment a second use and help protect the environment from the toxic materials so they may contain. It is not waste – it is a resource.
Is it harmful?
Electronics contain materials that contaminate water and soil and harm human and animal health.
- Mercury is in flat screens
- Lead is in the CRT monitor
- Cadmium is in the laptop batteries
- Mercury is inside audio equipment, phones, fax machines, scanners, digital pagers, and flat screen TVs
- Other materials include plastic, gold, silver, platinum, copper, and tin
(Source: International Association of Electronics Recyclers)
What can I do with my E-Scrap?
The CACRC is a R2 RIOS CERTIFIED nonprofit designed to handle this problem. We give your old electronics a second chance in schools, other nonprofits, and in the community. We recycle over 1,500 tons of e-scrap annually.
How the CACRC collects E-Scrap
- Scheduled Community drop-off days
- State wide pick-up from businesses, industries, and agencies.
- Drop off at our warehouse for individuals and businesses between 8:30am & 4:00pm
General Qualifications For Donations:
Organizations can qualify for pickup by trained CACRC staff if they have:
-50 items or more which can include individual printers, desktop computers, flat screen monitors, etc.(A box of wires or cables does not count as part of the 50 items, although they can be donated as well.)
-Items should be in one location for pickup.
Schedule dates are dependent on availability.
RECYCLING FEES:The CACRC charges a $5 recycling fee per printer, scanner and fax machine. All other items are free to donate. We DO NOT accept CRT monitors or televisions. (See “What We Recycle”)
PICK UP FEES: The charges vary dependent on the pickup location. Call (225) 379-3577 for more information.
Capital Area Corporate Recycling Council
1400 Main Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
The CACRC is the only Responsible Recycling Practices (R2) certified recycler located in the state of Louisiana. This certification is required for all federal agencies, as specified by executive order 13514, Sec. 2 (i). For more information about the standards required by the R2 program, go online to http://www.sustainableelectronics.org/.